Sunday, February 15, 2009

McDonald's and My Mother-in-Law

I wanted to post yesterday, but I am lame. I'm at my mother-in-law's (MIL) house and didn't set up my laptop until this morning. My father-in-law was on his computer all yesterday, the selfish bastard. I'm joking about FIL and MIL, they are the most generous, most selfless people I have ever met.

McDonald's
I started out yesterday being good. My DS8 had a wrestling match in the morning, so I was going to get breakfast from Mickey D's. I checked on WW's site for points values for an Egg McMuffin and ordered that, while DD13 ordered a Sausage McGriddle meal. An Egg McMuffin is 7 points.

I haven't yet learned to check out my food before leaving the drive-through at this Mickey D's because I really don't have to at any other Mickey D's I've been to. You order something and they give it to you. Simple, right? It didn't work that way yesterday. I ordered my Egg McMuffin and got an egg and cheese bagel. Hmmm.

Of course, we were running late to the wrestling match so returning and getting what we ordered wasn't an option. So, I ate the bagel and looked up the points when I got home. WW doesn't have it. Bagels apparently aren't in McDonald's list of "core" menu items and they don't list the nutritional information on their website. So I just counted it as the same as the Egg McMuffin. Hey, I tried!

Mother-in-Law
I brought my kids up to see my MIL this weekend and I made the mistake of telling her that I've started Weight Watchers. MIL is very supportive. Very supportive. Unfortunately, MIL has been on every single diet known to man and womankind, including WW. She has memorized the calories of just about everything. And she has memorized just about every diet.

MIL did WW in the 70s. She was talking about what you could eat and what you couldn't eat and saving your milk or fat portion up and using it on something else and being supposed to eat 5 fish dishes per week. The points system is a HUGE improvement over that.

I told her about the points system and how I can eat whatever I want as long as I don't go over my points for the day and/or week. She doesn't quite get it. She asked me if I was allowed 4 ounces of shrimp for lunch. I just went along with it. It's easier.

So, so far at 5:20 pm, I've only used up 7 of my points for the day. I'm HUNGRY!!! AND I have 19 weekly points that will expire tonight. That's 40 whole points!! I'm afraid I'm going to go on a rampage tonight.

This is a house of good food. A 2 second peek into the fridge showed me a plate of lasagna (6 points) and a baggie with fried chicken (7 points). Plus, she told me that she has Girl Scout cookies (a billion points, if I eat my fill). I need to plan my attack.

Dinner tonight is going to be Chinese food. I've chosen scallops with vegetables (7 points) and I'll have some of her homemade wonton soup (4 points), which is frozen dumplings with chicken broth.

Then I'll have 29 points to spend whichever way I wish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment