Friday, February 13, 2009

In the Beginning . . .

I'm fat. Obese. I've known this for a while. I've also known for a while that I really ought to do something about it. It wasn't easy to make the commitment to give up my big bowl of ice cream every night habit so I procrastinated.

But the New Year brought new determination and this past Sunday, I signed up for Weight Watchers. Our health plan, Kaiser-Tormente (my son made this up when he was five), offers a discount for WW.

I signed up for a year. Why? I'm asking myself that question right now. But the other option was to sign up for three months. I need to lose WAY more weight than can be safely lost in three months.

I'm glad I picked the one year plan. I have a definite end date for my diet. If I would have picked the three month plan, I would have had to renew and renew and renew. There would be no set end date. I would have gotten discouraged and quit. I might have already quit. But now I can say to myself, "It's only a year. I can do this for a year." And I know I can.

I picked Weight Watchers because it works. That and the health insurance discount. I did lose 35 pounds with eDiets and might have done that again, but I also wanted something new. And I like the points system. It makes things easier. I like the idea that I can eat what I want, as long as it fits into my points allowance for the day or for the week.

So the next question is - why blog about it? To keep me honest, to look for support and motivation, to use as an outlet for frustration. The question is - can I keep up the diet for a year, and can I keep up the blog for a year?


4 comments:

  1. YOU CAN DO IT. I will promise i will eat healthier with you, might not do WW, but i'll do my own thing with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You CAN do it! I'll be cheering you on and pushing you to stick with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Kate!! I am right along side ya helping you along!!! Maybe this will jumstart, kick, push whatever me to do the same things!!

    Proud of you Kate!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I am following this blog now! I expect updates! ;) LOL I am right along with ya! I will be trying to do something too!

    ReplyDelete